See photos (2)

Tour de l’Horloge

Tower, Medieval in Auxerre
  • Originally used as a county prison, the tower was converted into a clock and belfry in 1483. A fire destroyed the tower in 1825, but it was restored, and much of it rebuilt identically by the great French architect Paul Boeswillwald. Attached to the tower is a chamber containing the clock mechanism which has been in operation since 1483, designed by the ingenious clockmaker Jean. The particularity of the clock comes from its two hands: the clock of Auxerre thus indicates both the solar time...
    Originally used as a county prison, the tower was converted into a clock and belfry in 1483. A fire destroyed the tower in 1825, but it was restored, and much of it rebuilt identically by the great French architect Paul Boeswillwald. Attached to the tower is a chamber containing the clock mechanism which has been in operation since 1483, designed by the ingenious clockmaker Jean. The particularity of the clock comes from its two hands: the clock of Auxerre thus indicates both the solar time and the phases of the moon. Restored from 2020 to 2022, it illuminates the city centre with its colours and gilding.
    The tower cannot be visited, but the Tourist Office regularly organises guided tours including the exterior of this essential monument!
Close